If you are creating new bootable macOS USB in 23/ 2024 using old methods like gibmacOS or internet recovery tool for Mac or Hackintosh be ready to troubleshoot stalled downloads, corrupted USB media installer and its also very time consuming comparing the tool I’m about to show you now.
It’s very handy to download and for those who want to do clean install/ re-install older or newer versions of macOS like Monterey, Ventura, Big Sur, Catalina or even older.
What is Mist?
Mist is one of the mac utility which can automatically download Firmware/ Installer for your MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, MacPro, iMac, MacMini & Mac Studio. It’s also very helpful to download and configure USB Drive for Hackintosh.
According to their Github Page it provides following features:
– [x] List all available macOS Firmwares / Installers available for download:
– Display names, versions, builds, release dates, and sizes
– Optionally show beta versions of macOS
– Filter macOS versions that are compatible with the Mac the app is being run from
– Export lists as **CSV**, **JSON**, **Property List** or **YAML**
Download available macOS Firmwares / Installers:
– For Apple Silicon Macs:
– Download a Firmware Restore file (.ipsw)
– Validates the SHA-1 checksum upon download
– For Intel-based Macs (Universal for macOS Big Sur and later):
– Generate an Application Bundle (.app)
– Generate a Disk Image (.dmg)
– Generate a Bootable Disk Image (.iso)
– For use with virtualization software (i.e., Parallels Desktop, UTM, VMware Fusion, VirtualBox)
Generate a macOS Installer Package (.pkg)
– Supports packages on **macOS Big Sur and newer** with a massive 12GB+ payload!
– Optionally codesign Disk Images and macOS Installer Packages
– Cache downloads to speed up build operations
Select custom Software Update Catalogs, allowing you to list and download macOS Installers from the following:
– Standard: The default catalog that ships with macOS
– Customer Seed: The catalog available as part of the [AppleSeed Program]
– Developer Seed: The catalog available as part of the [Apple Developer Program]
– Public Seed: The catalog available as part of the [Apple Beta Software Program]
Catalogs from the Seed Programs may contain beta / unreleased macOS versions. Ensure you are a member of these programs before proceeding.
– Validates the Chunklist checksums upon download
– Automatic retries for failed downloads!
This Method Can Only Be Used in macOS Monterey or Newer for Windows or any macOS version older than Monterey Please Go to gibmacOS for Now.
Downloading Mist Installer:
- Go to Mist Repo and Star it.
- Go To Releases and Download Latest Release or if you already have brew installed just open up terminal and type:
brew install --cask mist, else follow the steps below.
- Download the Installer DMG file.
- Open the Downloaded File.
- Drag & Drop the Mist Application into Applications folder.
Mist is now Installed on your current Operating System.
Creating Bootable macOS Sonoma 14.1 Installation Media.
By now, You have Mist installed on your mac & now lets create bootable media using the Mist tool.
- Open Mist.
- Let it refresh its database & links.
- Go to Installers.
- Select “Include Betas” if you want to make Public / Developer beta bootable Installation Media. (We’ll be Installing macOS Sonoma 14.2 Release Version)
- Click on Create Bootable Media Installer Button then Click Open Disk Utility.
Preparing USB Drive for bootable macOS Installer:
- In Disk Utility Click on Show All Devices.
- Insert your USB Drive (Minimum 32GB, USB 2.0 Preferred) into USB port and Select your USB Drive.
- Click on Erase (This will FORMAT your USB Drive).
- Rename your USB Drive & Select Format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using GUID Partition Map.
- Click Erase.
Preparation is now complete & now go back to Mist.
Downloading & Writing macOS to USB Drive while making it Bootable
- Refresh & Select your USB Drive from drop down menu.
- Now thanks to Mist, It will auto-magically download, verify & create the Bootable macOS Installer USB Drive. Download & Verify might take some time depends on your mac Internet Connection, USB Drive & Processor. For us it took 30 minutes.
- After Completion you’ll be greeted by screen like this. Click on Close
You have now successfully created Bootable macOS USB Drive with the help of Mist, To use it as Bootable Drive for Mac, Simply insert drive into USB port and restart system while keep pressing Option Key while starting & for Hackintosh Sonoma guide, I’ll be posting it as a series for Building Hackintosh in 2023/24 from scratch to post-install. I’ll also attach the plan for the series, comment if you have any query or suggestion.