[GUIDE] The Budget Hackintosh Workstation with 9th Gen Processors
Since the dawn of macOS, you guys might be thinking to own a mac which gives you smooth buttery performance without burning the pocket so let’s start with the budget hack of 2020.
If you have the patience for troubleshooting software bugs, building a Hackintosh is easier than ever. As a reward, you get a flexible, customizable, dual-booting gaming machine that costs vastly less than a high-end Mac — and might even run better to boot. Even with new Macs just around the corner, there are still great reasons to build a Hackintosh in 2020.
Let’s Start :
The hardware we are making on,
- Intel i5 9400F
- 16GB Corsair RAM (2 x 8GB)
- Crucial MX500 500GB SSD
- Cooler Master 450W Power Supply
- MSI B360M-PRO-VDH.
- Sapphire RX580 8GB
All the links are Affiliated with Amazon.
What you’ll need?
- A mac running macOS to download and create the Bootable Drive
- At-least 8GB USB Drive. (USB 2.0 Preferred)
- Clover Configurator.
- Internet Connection
- A hack to test this.
To download macOS head over to the version you wanted to install open from the mac you are using.
In this hack, we are going with a stable build of Catalina.
How to Download macOS Catalina
- Head Over to Download page from the above-mentioned Link and click on Get Button to Download macOS.
2. After Downloading quit the installer if it is opened automatically.
Preparing the USB:
The quick way:
I used a free app called Install Disk Creator to make the installation drive. Download Install Disk Creator by clicking on the link. When the download is done, you can move it over to your Applications folder. Then follow these steps to create your bootable macOS Catalina drive.
1. Connect your drive to your Mac.
2. Launch Install Disk Creator.
3. In the main window, you’ll see a pop-up menu under Select the volume to become the installer. Click on the menu and select your drive.
IDGThe main window of Install Disk Creator.
4. Under the pop-up menu, you’ll see Select the OS X installer. (macOS used to be called OS X.) If you have only the Catalina installer on your Mac, Install Disk Creator will automatically select it. If you have other macOS installers, you need to click on Select the OS X installer and select the Catalina installer.
5. When you’re ready, click Create installer. Your Mac may tell you that Install Disk Creator wants to make changes, and you need to enter your user name and password. After you do this, the app will take a few minutes to create the boot drive. A progress bar. appears at the bottom of the Install Disk Create window.
If you try to start the process and you get a failure message saying that the drive couldn’t be unmounted, try reformatting the drive first as ExFAT using Disk Utility. Then start the process over again.
When the app is done, the installer is ready to use.
Recommended BIOS Settings:
- To access BIOS/UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
- Load Optimised Defaults
- Settings > Advanced > Integrated Peripherals > Network Stack > Disabled
- Settings > Advanced > Integrated Peripherals > Intel Serial IO > Disabled
- Settings > Advanced > USB Configuration > XHCI Hands-Off > Enabled
- Settings > Advanced > USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support > [AUTO]
- Settings > Advanced > Windows OS Configuration > MSI FastBoot > [Disabled]
- Settings > Advanced > Windows OS Configuration > FastBoot > [Disabled]
- Overclocking > Extreme Memoery Profile (X.M.P) > [Enabled]
- Overclocking > CPU Features > Intel Virtualization Tech > [Enabled]
- Overclocking > CPU Features > Intel V-td Tech > [Disabled]
- Settings > Boot > Boot Mode Select > [LEGACY + UEFI]
Save and Exit
Install macOS Catalina
You’re almost done! All you need to do is boot from the USB drive and install it! For best results, insert the USB in a USB 2.0 port.
- Turn on the computer
- Press the hotkey to choose the boot device.
- Choose USB
- At Clover boot screen, choose Boot Install macOS Catalina from myVolume. (If you have issues reaching the installer, you can use the spacebar on the boot screen to enter alternate boot modes such as verbose and safe mode.)
- For a new installation of macOS,
you MUST erase and format the destination drive according to the following steps before continuing.a. In the top menu bar choose Utilities and open Disk Utility
b. Highlight your target drive for the Mojave installation in the left column.
c. Click Erase button
d. For Name: type Mojave (You can rename it later)
e. For Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
f. Click Erase
g. Close Disk UtilityWhen the installer asks you where to install, choose Catalina
Upon completion, the system will automatically restart. Press the hotkey to choose boot device (F12 for Gigabyte mobo)Choose USB
At the Boot Screen, choose MojaveComplete macOS installation. The system will automatically reboot.
USE THE EFI FOLDER FROM DOWNLOAD SECTION, IF YOU HAVE THE EXACT SAME CONFIGURATION OF MOTHERBOARD AND PROCESSOR.
PROCEED TO THE NEXT STEP IF YOU WANT TO CONFIGURE EFI OF YOUR OWN IF YOU USED THE PROVIDED EFI YOU ARE GOOD TO GO.
Download Latest Clover EFI
- Install Clover to formatted USB with following selected
Code: Install for UEFI Booting only Install clover in ESP Drivers64UEFI->FSInject-64 Drivers64UEFI->ApfsDriverLoader-64 -> This is the APFS file system driver Drivers64UEFI->AptioMemoryFix-64 Drivers64UEFI->SMCHelper-64 (VirtualSMC.efi if using VirtualSMC.kext, SMCHelper-64.efi is not compatible with VirtualSMC.efi and must be removed)
How To Setup The Config.plist
I typically don’t use the default config given by the Clover installer. It’s loaded with fixes and comments — and it’s hard to navigate. If you open Clover Configurator and don’t select any plist — it gives you a clean slate to use.
I do my SMBIOS generation in CC, but everything else manually — so as such, that’s how I’ll explain it in this guide.
Alternatively, you can open the default config.plist that Clover installs to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist — then make sure you uncheck all the DSDT Fixes in both pages of the ACPI tab of CC.
Note: For the sake of making things easier, there are example configs and Clover Configurator screenshots for each hardware family at the end of each section. Please make sure to change the SMBIOS and such though — and don’t just copy and paste them, as I’m rather sure that plenty of people are already using those same serials 😛
With CC open, navigate to the SMBIOS tab.
Click the button on the right of the screen with the up and down arrows to bring up the SMBIOS list, you’ll want to pick one of the following based on your hardware (NOTE: picking a SMBIOS is more important than just choosing something that sounds cool. It affects things like USB routing, graphics profiles, CPU power management, etc and you should pick the SMBIOS with hardware closest to yours). A quick reference for what to choose is as follows:
Coffee Lake — iMac18,2/18,3/19,1
Use iMac18,1 if you’re using the iGPU only
Kabylake — iMac18,2/18,3
Skylake — iMac17,1
Broadwell — iMac16,1 (rarely used, if ever)
Haswell Refresh (Devil’s Canyon) — iMac15,1
Haswell With NVIDIA GPU — iMac14,2
Haswell With iGPU — iMac14,1
Ivy Bridge — iMac13,2
Sandy Bridge — iMac12,2 (although recently I’ve had better success with iMac13,2)
X79/X99/X299 — MacPro6,1
After selecting your mac model — click the hell out of the Generate New button under the Serial field until your hands are sore.
Some fields will pre-fill, but not all. You’ll want to fire up the Terminal — and run uuidgen. Copy that output, and paste it into the SmUUID field.
Then copy your Board Serial, and navigate to the RtVariables tab, and at the very top — paste it into the MLB field.
Set your ROM field to UseMacAddr0, set the BooterConfig field to 0x28, and the CsrActiveConfig field to 0x3E7. This will disable SIP (in case we need to load any unsigned kexts).
The Geekbench of the macOS Catalina on i5 9400F is,
That’s it you are good to go if you got any problems with installing macOS comment below or start a thread.
If you are interested in multi-booting checkout,
Ayush Sahay Chaudhary
Join Our Discord Gaming Server.
Follow Me on Instagram!
Error: No posts found.
Make sure this account has posts available on instagram.com.